Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I've switched thesis topics...

"In most of the cities in the developing world the urban poor survive through work in the informal economy. At the same time, these cities attempt a ‘make-over’ by trying to attain the standards of global cities." - WIEGO

I've changed my thesis topic to a comparative policy analysis of municipal policy toward street life in developing countries. (Street life being food vendors, sidewalk sellers, informal open-air markets, etc). I will attempt to see if there are patterns, innovations and unique examples of how cities have valued (or devalued) street life, and whether there really are feasible ways for cities to incorporate this facet of culture that is so easily lost.

I will supplement this policy analysis with a case study of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, which has in the past been well known for its vibrant street life. However, in light of "tourism" demands, HCMC is considering the evacuation of many of these street vendors. Do they have options? There are negative effects of street vendors (sidewalk clogging, sanitary concerns, informal economy, public space, urban design) - but [and this is my bias] I think it's a valuable part of life they shouldn't just eradicate.

What are the policy options? What are the issues at hand? What are the urban design considerations? What are the regional patterns? Can we do something other than clear them out?

No comments:

Post a Comment